Maths Problem Solving for Higher Achievers: Number
Book 1: Number
Book 2: Space, Measurement, Logic, Algebra, Chance & Data
by Ian Bull
An extension and enrichment program for upper primary and lower secondary students, providing teachers with a range of problem-solving tasks that can be used with mathematically elite or highly able students.
- Each activity has a clear aim together with a full list of the resources required.
- Fully worked solutions are provided for all tasks, with hints where necessary.
- Section 1: Extension class lessons with differentiated activities at three levels:
- A selection of 12 problems written to a theme with an introductory lesson for all students followed by an application task, an extension task for higher achieving students, then a second extension task for an extra challenge.
- Each lesson is supported by interactive whiteboard files on an enclosed CD.
- Section 2: Open-ended tasks:
- 12 open-ended problem-solving tasks, with solutions, based on a variety of themes requiring students to work in a more independent manner, and to apply the skills developed in Section 1.
- Section 3: Mathematics reading and comprehension tasks:
- 6 worded questions, with solutions, based on a variety of themes. The questions are similar to reading comprehension problems, with each requiring a mathematical component to complete the task.
Ian Bull is a senior teacher based in Melbourne with a particular interest in gifted and talented education. He is the author of a range of successful resources at both primary and secondary level.
|Year Level||Year 5, Year 6, Year 7, Year 8|